Oh Cheese


So while my parents were in town we went to this restaurant called the Tin Angle Cafe. It was a quirky little restaurant, which was a little bit pricier than what I would normally spend, but very yummy. My mom ordered their Gnocchi pasta with Gorgonzola Cream Sauce. It was really quite yummy and  I craved it for a while afterwards. So I looked up a recipe for a Gorgonzola Cream Sauce and found one that looked easy and should be a good match.

The hard part was finding Gorgonzola. Little did I know, your average grocery store does not regularly carry it. I didn't think to check at Macy's, but I feel doubtful they would have had it there. There is a very large Harmon's in Draper, on the other side of the highway near IKEA that I think would have it, but we ended up going to Pirate O's, also in Draper, just about 10 minutes from IKEA. Pirate O's is one of the few gourmet markets I know of, and they have a huge walk in fridge full of cheese. We found Gorgonzola, which I think was less then $5 for about 4oz. Pricey, but whatev. Dave also found Queso Manchego which is a Spain imported cheese that he loved on his mission made of sheep milk. It was about $8 for a 2x4 block of cheese. Pricey. But really quite yummy. Dave was happy with his discovery.

If you are looking for unique and gourmet foods check out Pirate O's. They have lots of awesome food items including Macadamia Nut Pancake mix! Yeah. We will be buying that next time we go there!

And now for the recipe;

Ingredients:

2 cups milk -- I used 1/2 cup heavy cream, and 1 1/2 cups milk
4 oz Gorgonzola -- I used only about 2, or 2.5 ounces. Gorgonzola is very strong and I would relate the smell and taste to blue cheese. 
3 tbsp unsalted butter
4 tbsp flour
1 tbsp rosemary -- I easily doubled, or maybe even tripled the rosemary in there 
A pinch of salt and pepper

Melt butter in a medium saucepan, over medium heat. Once melted, added flour and whisk until brown, about 5 minutes.

Slowly whisk in milk (and heavy cream) until thickened. Turn down heat and simmer for about 3-5 minutes until thicker.

Add cheese and seasonings, I also added a handful of Parmesan. Keep warm until ready to serve. I served it over pasta and chicken. I think the Gorgonzola adds great flavor to it. The second time I made it replaced the butter with olive oil because I do my best to avoid cooking with butter and I didn't notice a difference. Next time I will probably add garlic.

Do you have any alfredo or cheese sauce recipes you love? If so, send them my way!

And on the topic of cheese...



No comments